Saturday, September 17, 2011

Olaudah Equiano-Chapter two-quotes

"and commonly some of us used to get up a tree to look out for any assailant, or kidnapper, that might come upon us; for they sometimes took those opportunities of our parents absence to attack and carry off as many as they could seize."

..."and which was an open shed, and laid myself down in the ashes with an anxious wish for death to relieve me from all my pains."

"The next day I was washed and perfumed, and when meal-time came I was led into the presence of my mistress, and ate and drink before her with her son. This filled me with astonishment; and I could scarce help expressing my surprise that the young gentleman should suffer me, who was bound, to eat with him who was free; and not only so, but that he would not at any time either eat or drink till I had taken first, because I was the eldest, which was agreeable to our custom. Indeed everything here, and all their treatment of me, made me forget that I was a slave."

"On a signal given (as the beat of a drum), the buyers rush at once into the yard where the slaves are confined, and make choice of that parcel they like best."

No comments:

Post a Comment